Progressive Systems Team Profiles
CEO and Director
Prior to joining Progressive Systems as its CEO, Jo held a variety of procurement roles over 18 years. A Member of the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply, she started her procurement career in the Australian private sector in banking and went on to fill several Procurement, Project Management and Leadership roles in the public sector.
Following several change management roles in the NSW Department of Commerce (now Finance & Innovation) Jo project-managed the establishment of a new procurement function at the NSW Department of Education (Education) before becoming its CPO and leading Education to achieve NSW Government’s highest procurement accreditation level.
She went on to independently consult to public and private sector organisations on a range of procurement-related projects including transformation, source to contract systems, change management, capability and social responsibility.
Jo brings her extensive ‘hands-on’ experience to the projects that she delivers. She is passionate about procurement and the positive influence it can have on the success of businesses, communities and personal careers.
Her experience includes:
- Chairperson for the NSW Procurement Leadership Group, supporting development of and advocating for sensible policies and processes
- Procurement strategy – providing input and oversight to the strategic approach and delivery of hundreds of goods and services procurement projects.
- Procurement function start up, restructure and reform in private and public sectors, incorporating:
- Performance Measurement and Management – including organisational procurement performance, social and sustainable responsibility and supplier performance
- Engagement Management – supporting Customers, Staff, Executive and Business Colleagues, Suppliers and the wider business community.
- Team and Career Development – incorporating capability gap analysis and development programs, business continuity planning and cadet and graduate programs.
- Process development, communication and training for public and private sector organisations.
Jennifer supports the Team with her expert guidance behind the scenes, managing the Financial Accounts, Budgets and compliance needs around GST and Payroll.With a Bachelor of Business Majoring in Accounting with a Sub-major in Computing and Information Systems, and years of practical experience, Jennifer has much to offer.
After more than 40 years’ experience working as a Financial/Management/Systems Accountant for a diverse range of Organisations Jennifer has now established her own boutique consulting business as a BAS Agent, Financial Accountant and general Business Advisor and has partnered with Progressive Systems.
Jennifer’s experience includes working with major corporates such as Toshiba, IBM’s Information Systems and Services Corp (ISSC), CCH/Wolters Kluwer and with SME’s and Start-ups, covering industries as diverse as Property Development, Print, Direct Sales, Golf Retail, Manufacturing and Wholesale Product Distribution, Transport and Distribution, Professional Tax and Accounting Services, and Semi-Government Organisations.
Jennifer brings passion and dedication to every project she undertakes with a can-do attitude to solving problems and achieving objectives.
General Manager and Consultant
Carl has 18 years’ experience implementing eSourcing, eProcurement, eCatalogue, Contract Life-cycle Management, Spend Analytics and end-to-end procurement automation and accounts payable systems. This experience was developed within several high-profile organisations serving the public and private sectors, on both the client and supplier side of the implementations.
From 2000 to 2008 Carl held executive roles within two global providers of eProcurement and procurement automation systems. These systems were implemented with Australasian public sector organisations and multi-national resources companies. During this time, in addition to being the Asia Pacific VP of Quadrem Australia delivering P2P solutions to global resource and extraction companies, including BHPB, Rio Tinto, Anglo American, Newmont, Alcoa and Woodside Petroleum, Carl held executive and project management roles within the following eProcurement system projects:
- BHPB eProcurement roll-out, phase 2 to 80% eProcurement transactions
- Alcoa, eProcurement and eCatalogue rollout – phase 1
- Rio Tinto, eProcurement rollout and internal catalogue management.
- Minara Resources – eProcurement specification and implementation
- Newmont Resources – eProcurement mid phase rollout
In 2009 Carl formed a specialist consultancy firm to deliver cost effective procurement systems for Australian public sector clients, with P2P assignments with;
- Aurizon Pty Ltd – eCatalogue
- Tarong Energy Corporation – eInvoicing
- Redland City Council – P2P and Invoicing Strategy and Roadmap
- Air New Zealand – Spend analysis and eCatalogue for in-direct procurement
In 2013 Carl made a substantial commitment to the Government of Indonesia. He led the Information Systems component of the Procurement Modernisation Project on behalf of USA’s Millennium Challenge Corporation working with LKPP, the Government of Indonesia’s procurement agency. The project strengthened, procured and implemented effective end-to-end eProcurement systems to support all aspects of the procurement life cycle and value chain for the Government of Indonesia.
Since concluding the Indonesian project in 2018 Carl has provided subject matter expertise on the eCommerce elements of a large NSW Government procurement project and managed the implementation of a leading P2P solution in Queensland.
Rod supports us by introducing people to our team and our services.
Rod has enjoyed an adventurous career in business to business sales over a broad range of industries.
In the early days Rod completed a teacher training course in meditation which was to shape his approach to life and career. Choosing sales as a way to experience the world. Some of Rod’s sales experience includes health equipment and consumables and photocopy equipment. He also previously worked with Sharon opening doors to initiate eProcurement into Australia through the stationery industry and later onto the broader market.
Rod has also owned his own small businesses over the years and is currently semi-retired, while managing an Aquariums business and his newly built dream home/B&B (www.brightwaterretreat.com.au) at Bundeena, NSW.
He was inspired by the opportunity to join the Progressive Systems team and keen to help them do good things in the world by promoting our Sustainable Procurement Get Started Program.
Rod loves achieving with people, human rights, walking Sydney’s Royal National Park, swimming, sailing, snorkelling, fine dining with friends and music.
Iain is a results-orientated individual with over 25 years’ experience in procurement and supply chain re-engineering. He specialises in analysing and recommending procurement performance improvement, transformation and supporting systems.
A self-starting individual who thrives on developing strategic solutions, outlining potential business outcomes and recommending a range of options.
Iain has an extensive management consulting background through multiple consulting firms and practices that embraced improvements to Procurement and Supply Chain operations. This provided valuable experience across government and a diverse range of industry sectors including, Asset Intensive, Government, Utilities, Post, etc.
His experience includes:
- Strategy and policy – linking procurement operation to strategic business objectives and procurement policy.
- Procurement organisation reform and design – full and detailed knowledge of the ‘procurement value chain’ and the development of a range of ‘operational frameworks’ (CLAN & SCAN) for procurement to ensure optimal procurement operation.
- Category strategies, management and planning – strategic sourcing (experience from ‘spot’ to ‘capital investment’ procurement) and category mapping and opportunity analysis. The creation of tenders/contacts and supplier performance improvement strategies.
- Information technologies for procurement – extensive knowledge of a range of information systems supporting the procurement ‘Value Chain’.
Dr Gregory Uppington
Gregory is an accomplished business improvement specialist delivering end-to-end solutions for private, corporate and government clients, involving significant business process mapping projects.
When undertaking projects Gregory applies a range of analytical methodologies and approaches to deliver on a client’s strategic vision. He specifies, designs and implements business solutions and systems alignment to achieve successful business change outcomes.
Gregory has developed and delivered presentations to key stakeholders at all levels including executive, divisional and business unit management, and project teams across multiple industry sectors including; Government, Health Care (public and private), Utilities, Telecommunications, FMCG, Facilities/Property, etc.
Gregory’s business improvements and systems alignments have delivered the following:
- Diagnostics road-map development for health services; Supply Chain/Procurement, CFO Business Case, Liver and Kidney Transplantation, HR For Nurses, etc.
- Billing Solutions for government suppliers.
- Program and Project Management Frameworks design and implementation.
- Electronic Trading Systems
- Content Management Systems for retail.
- Property Management Solutions for facilities management.
- Mining – Enterprise Alignment System.
- For governments:
- Australian Government – Asset Management, Financial Control.
- Japanese Government – ERP requirements, Enterprise Architectures.
- Japanese Multi-national corporations – Integrated Business Operating Models (implemented).
- Hong Kong Government – Integrated Project Management approach.
BvW Global Founder and Managing Director, Christophe Barriere-Varju holds a Bachelor of Business Administration and a Triple Major MBA in Supply Chain Management, Finance, and New Venture Management from the University of San Diego, California.
Prior to founding BvW Global in 2001, Christophe Barriere-Varju worked at Coopers & Lybrand, then PriceWaterhouseCoopers in New York within the Full Value Procurement Practice. He then joined Arthur Andersen in Australia before taking a role to develop the Solutions Consulting Practice of EDS Australia for Asia/Pacific.
Christophe assists clients with partial or end-to-end projects within Procurement, Category Sourcing, Tenders and Contract Negotiation, Business Processes as well as Probity Roles to ensure Procurement Policies and Guidelines are adhered to. BvW Global work encompasses the People, Process, Technology, and Organisational Structure spectrum.
BvW Global is also an accredited Government supplier that supports Government Agencies with any of their procurement needs and sourcing initiatives. For the last 15+ years, BvW Global continues to be a trusted procurement advisory, management consultancy and implementation partner to Australian Government Agencies and Large Global Corporations and we are proud to be partnering with Progressive Systems to the benefits of their clients